IE Page Becomes Unresponsive
fishel
2004-02-11 20:39:11 UTC
I can open INternet Explorer 4.0 in my Win98 2nd edition
system, but for operations such as an update download or
to download another piece of software (such as ad-aware)
the page becomes unrepsonsive.

After clicking the ''Install Now'' button for IE updates,
nothing happened. When I positioned the cursor over
the 'x'' in the upper right to close the window, the chime
would sound, but nothing happened.

After several minutes, I used ctrl+alt+dlt. Same thing
happened on subsequent attempts.

E-mail with OUtlook Express seems to be working well.

Any suggestions??

ed

30
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP
2004-02-12 12:19:59 UTC
Post by fishel
I can open INternet Explorer 4.0 in my Win98 2nd edition
system, but for operations such as an update download or
to download another piece of software (such as ad-aware)
the page becomes unrepsonsive.
After clicking the ''Install Now'' button for IE updates,
nothing happened. When I positioned the cursor over
the 'x'' in the upper right to close the window, the chime
would sound, but nothing happened.
After several minutes, I used ctrl+alt+dlt. Same thing
happened on subsequent attempts.
E-mail with OUtlook Express seems to be working well.
Any suggestions??
ed
30
Win98SE comes with IE5. How did you get IE4 to install?
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Ed
2004-02-12 13:24:11 UTC
Post by fishel
would sound, but nothing happened.
After several minutes, I used ctrl+alt+dlt. Same thing
happened on subsequent attempts.
E-mail with OUtlook Express seems to be working well.
Any suggestions??
ed
30
Win98SE comes with IE5. How did you get IE4 to install?
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
.
frank,
i got into this mess by trying to get out of a mess.
virtual bouncer had loaded itself on my machine. web
discussions about getting rid of the little parasite
suggested going to the boot log and using a clean boot
prior to the appearance of virtual bouncer. earlier boots
failed and i ended up loading the discs that came with the
machine....e.g. win98se and a separate disc for ie 4.0.

in my original message posted to this site, i said that e-
mail with outlook express is working well. that is not
entirely correct. if i receive and e-mail with a link for
a web page/site, clicking on the link does nothing.

another point i should mention is that i obtained ad-
aware, the lavasoft spyware software, and cleaned the
machine with it and hope that has solved the original
issue.

any suggestions on making the links in e-mails and
downloads active.....

thanks in advance.

ed

30
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP
2004-02-12 17:39:24 UTC
Post by Ed
[...]
From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

Open Windows Explorer.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
Actually, if I had this problem I think I would save all important data
elsewhere, format the drive and reinstall Win98SE, which should give you
IE5. Then I would updated to IE6 SP1.
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Ed Fishel
IExplore
#3 (blank)
WWW_OpenURL
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be
the same.
Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.
If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
Actually, if I had this problem I think I would save all
important data
elsewhere, format the drive and reinstall Win98SE, which
should give you
IE5. Then I would updated to IE6 SP1.
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
.
frank, thank you.
i have followed the suggestions and find no irregularities
in the areas you suggested checking.

re-formatting the disc seems pretty drastic......is there
any hope of doing something along the lines of isolating
ie on the disc and re-installing only that item to address
this issue......btw, in the process of poking around in
properties, i found you are correct about the ie version.
although i have the ie 4.0 disc, it was apparently updated
to 5.5 when i did the re-install of win98se.

i notice that when i reach the point of using ctl+alt+dlt
to get out of an unresponsive window, one of the items in
the dialogue box that consistently appears is a line
item ''iexplore not responding''

adios

ed

30
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP
IExplore
#3 (blank)
WWW_OpenURL
[...]
Eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each need to be updated before every use, even when just
downloaded. There's also a lot more to do than just those two programs.

If trying everything at that site does not fix the problem please post back
in the same thread.
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Edward Teal
2004-02-13 00:05:54 UTC
Update to Internet Explorer 5.5 with service pack 2 (sp2), it's the
most stable version available for Win98.

You can get the full install of Internet Explorer 5.5 with service
pack 2 is on CD for $3.00 at http://www.on-disk.com/ie55sp2.html

Microsoft doesn't have it for download anymore but evolt.org does,
although it wouldn't install for me and several others who I've seen
post in these groups.

The CD from on-disk.com is the full 85MB version with 128 bit
encryption, Outlook Express, java, etc. It installed without a problem
and works great for me.

I didn't even bother to update to 6.0 because 5.5sp2 works flawlessly.

Good Luck!
Ed