IE began to work very slow
msnews.microsoft.com
2003-09-21 15:43:48 UTC
win 2000 server
DSL connection
never had problems with Internet and browser

Norton Antivirus doesn't find anything suspicious

suddenly a browser began to work very slow
ping is OK
some of the web sites it opens with some delay, another can't open
(including google.com...)

last 1-2 days got dozens of spam emails with 154Kb worm attachments
i simply deleted them, didn't open
(btw i do use hotmail and use Custom filter and Blocker - they don't work in
hotmail, the same spam-worm 154Kb emails keep coming...)

thanks for advices
Alan Edwards
2003-09-21 09:12:13 UTC
I suggest you correct your date (as nobody may take you seriously) and
post to a more relevant group than an IE4 group (which you possibly
may not have)

I guess you are being sent viruses, rather than spam.

F-Secure
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml

Network Associates:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm

Trend Micro:
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SWEN.A

Symantec
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/***@mm.html

Computer Associates:
http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=36939

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

thanks for advices
msnews.microsoft.com
2003-09-22 16:02:06 UTC
Alan,

thx for a response

where you'll advise me to post me question regarding browser problem
(I feel that I do have a browser problem, because all other programs/ports
work OK: Terminal services, ping, ftp, telnet, icq, etc)
I use IE 5.0

i searched ms newsgroups on "virus", "security" - didn't find any.

thx
Vahan
Post by Alan Edwards
I suggest you correct your date (as nobody may take you seriously) and
post to a more relevant group than an IE4 group (which you possibly
may not have)
I guess you are being sent viruses, rather than spam.
F-Secure
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SWEN.A
Symantec
thanks for advices
Alan Edwards
2003-09-24 00:04:11 UTC
Post to a group for your browser.
As you are posting with OE5.5, I assume IE5.5 so try:

First I suggest you read the addresses I included as your message
indicates the Swen worm.

...Alan
--

Post by Alan Edwards
I suggest you correct your date (as nobody may take you seriously) and
post to a more relevant group than an IE4 group (which you possibly
may not have)
I guess you are being sent viruses, rather than spam.
F-Secure
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SWEN.A